Monday, September 19, 2011

Homemade Baked Beans

I decided to make my own baked beans to go with dinner instead of buying a can of them at the store.  I read the ingredients on the can and figured I could go from there and check the internet for some other baked bean recipes.

Ingredients
2 cans great northern beans (you can prep these yourself from dry beans, I used the cans because I needed to use them up)
Bacon 4-5 strips, or however much you want, cut up in to 1-2inch pieces
Dijon mustard, 1-2 tablespoons
Molasses, 1 Tablespoon
Brown Sugar, 1-2 Tablespoons
Liquid Smoke, few dashes
Onion powder, few dashes  (Could use chopped onion, but I was in a hurry to get these cooking)
Garlic powder, few dashes
Ketchup 1-2 Tablespoons
Hot Pepper Sauce, to taste, you can use Tabasco or Chulula
Salt
Worcestershire Sauce (I didn't use this because of the gluten, but if I were making these non-GF, then I'd definitely add a tablespoon or so.)


How To
Rinse the beans and place in a pot with a lid.  Add the rest of the ingredients along with about 1/4 to 1/3 cup water.  Stir it all up.  Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cover the pot with the lid.  Let simmer at least an hour, but longer is better.  Stir the beans occasionally and check the water level--you don't want them to dry out, but you don't want them watery.  You do want a nice thick sauce with the beans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails