Thursday, September 1, 2011

Heavenly Cappuccinos

There is something so soothing and re-energizing about a good cup of coffee.  Now that the weather is supposed to start cooling down--get this, the high today is 102 with a heat index of 100; it's going to be a windy day--it is September 1st after all, I look even more forward to my daily cup.  I'm so excited that I've been feeling better and can enjoy my mug of decaf (regular when I'm not pregnant).  I'm particular about my cup though.  I make 2 cups, one for me and one for Jaime, so the following is for 2 cappuccinos.  I start by boiling some water, about a cup and a third, and put 2 tablespoons of Starbucks' ground espresso roast in to my French press.  When the water has boiled, I pour that on top of the ground coffee and let it steep for 5 minutes.  While the coffee is steeping, I pour some half and half in to my mug and add a bit of sugar and do the same for Jaime's mug.  With about 1 minute remaining on the steep time, I heat the half and half in the microwave for 20 seconds.  Then hand whisk the warmed half and half to create the foam for the cappuccino :)  The foam is the best part!  Finally, I press the coffee and pour it in to each mug (the foam goes to the top when the coffee is poured in slowly).  Heavenly!
source
While I love my homemade cappuccino and can happily drink it year round and multiple times a day, I am very excited for the upcoming seasonal coffee drinks from Starbucks.  I love the Pumpkin Spice Latte and Gingerbread Latte--though I get all my drinks done as cappuccinos.
Hold the whip cream, please. (Source)
Doesn't that just look delicious?!  The only problem is the price of these yummy drinks.  So, I have found some fantastic homemade versions online.
For a pumpkin spice latte, check out this recipe on TheKitchn (this is a fantastic site for info and recipes!). And, here's a recipe for the homemade gingerbread latte.
Enjoy and let me know if you give these a try.
***UPDATE: if you are more of a spiced chai kind of person, I just found this homemade recipe.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails