Friday, September 23, 2011

Cherry Cream Cheese Rolls

This week I wanted something just a little sweet to munch on.  I took my inspiration from my other rolls and created my Cherry Cream Cheese Rolls.  YUM!  While it cooked, the house smelled so delicious, slightly cinnamon-y and sweet.  On a cool morning with a cup of coffee, these are perfect!  My husband enjoyed some after work and for dessert.
Cherry Cream Cheese Rolls
Ingredients
Bread dough (I used a half of my bread recipe*)
about 1/2 cup dried cherries
2-4 oz cream cheese
some cinnamon sugar or just cinnamon
fresh lemon zest from about a 1/4 of a lemon

How To
On a cookie sheet, use your hands to spread dough out in a rectangle.
Then drop chunks of cream cheese on top of the dough.  I spread mine out some using a knife.  A spatula would work too.
Sprinkle some cinnamon or cinnamon sugar over the entire area.
Next, sprinkle the dried cherries all over the top.
Then use a zester or a fine grater to zest some lemon over the top.  I only had about a quarter of a lemon and this amount worked just fine.  It was enough to give the roll a little zip.
Next, start at the widest end and roll the bread up.  Slightly pinch the end to seal it to the roll.
This time, I baked the roll whole like this instead of cutting it up.  I did cut a couple of small slashes in top of the roll. It turned out beautifully.  If you prefer a darker crustier finish, now would be the time to beat an egg and brush it over the top and sides of the roll.
Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes.
Let cool slightly then slice in to serving size rolls.
Enjoy!*When I make my bread dough, some times after the first rise of 1 hour I will split the dough in half and put each half in a baggie and freeze it.  This way I always have some dough on hand.  Just take it out of the freezer and let thaw either over night in the fridge or for a couple hours on the counter.  Once thawed, it is ready to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails