Monday, January 23, 2012

Sauteed Kale with Onions and Bacon

Last night instead of our salad I made some sauteed kale to go along with our grilled tilapia and mashed cauliflower.  I had bought the kale last week with the intention of making kale chips.  The week went by and I just never got around to making the chips.  I wanted to try something different with the kale.  I started by browning 5 slices of bacon (I buy nitrite and nitrate free bacon from Whole Foods).  After it was nicely crisped, I removed the bacon from the pan and poured off most of the grease.  Then I added the chopped up kale and half of a large onion chopped. I sauteed this over medium high heat for several minutes.  After the several minutes of sauteing, I added 4 or 5 cloves of finely diced garlic and let it all continue to saute for several more minutes.  To deglaze the pan I added about 1/4 cup of chicken broth.  After the broth of absorbed/cooked off, I tossed the cooked bacon back in the pan.  We all (except Penelope who claimed the entire meal to be too wet) loved this dish (I put red pepper flakes on mine for added yum!).  I will be making it again for sure.
Source

Sauteed Kale with Onions and Bacon
Ingredients
1 bunch kale, rinse, then tear the leaves from the stalk, then chop the leaves (discard the tough stalk)
1/2 large onion, chopped
5 slices bacon, chopped (I cut mine in to pieces with my kitchen scissors)
4-5 cloves garlic, diced
1/4-1/3 cup chicken broth (could use water if no broth on hand)
salt and pepper
red pepper flakes (optional)
Directions
In a saute pan, cook the bacon over medium heat.  Use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon after it is cooked.  Pour off all but a couple of teaspoons of the grease.  Add the chopped kale and onion to the pan.  Stir it all around and saute for several minutes, about 5-7minutes over medium to medium high heat.  Add the garlic, stir around and continue to saute for 3-5 minutes.  Add the chicken broth and scrape the bottom of the pan to deglaze, continue stirring and sauteing for about 3-5 minutes.  Add the bacon back in to the pan, stir around.  Add the salt and pepper to taste.  Add the red pepper flakes.  Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails