Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Blueberry Muffins

Since tomorrow is the first day of school, I've been busy yet again baking and prepping food for the busy mornings with starving (their word, not mine!) boys and to quickly pack healthy filling lunches. Today I've made gluten free and dairy free blueberry muffins (again), rice pudding, French bread, and meatballs.  Okay, so the meat balls are also for dinner tonight for meatball subs, but the leftover ones also make a great lunch!  Since John Paul and Penelope finished off ALL of the granola I made last week, I'm going to have to make more along with some regular granola.  Still to make tonight are some dairy free waffles for Alexander and some gluten and dairy free pancakes.

The GF/DF blueberry muffins are SO good and easy.  The recipe I use is a variation of these Berry-blue-Blueberry Muffins.  I'm so happy to have found this recipe and that it is a family favorite.  I plan on playing with it some more and changing up the berries as well as trying it with some pumpkin or sweet potato for the autumn.

Blue Berry Muffins***
about 2 cups of blueberries (I used frozen ones that we picked earlier this summer)
2 cups all purpose GF flour (I use Silvana's blend from the Cooking for Isaiah cookbook--LOVE this blend!)
1-2 tablespoons GF flour
2/3 cup sugar (I don't always use this much)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup almond milk (if I use vanilla almond milk then I don't add as much sugar)
1/2 cup applesauce
2 eggs
some vanilla depending on which almond milk I used


How To
Put the blueberries in a smallish bowl/measuring cup and dump the 1-2 tablespoons of flour over them.  Gently tap the sides of the bowl to knock the flour to the bottom.
In a medium bowl, put the 2 cups flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, and salt.  Mix together.  Then add the milk, applesauce, eggs, and vanilla.  Mix all together. Then add the blueberries and stir them in.
Heat oven to 350.  Grease your muffin tins.  This batter makes 12 regular sized muffins and 24 mini muffins--a fantastic amount!  I bake them at the same time for 10-12 minutes, take the mini muffins out, and let the regular sized ones bake 7 minutes or so.
This morning I forgot the eggs until I had measured about half of the muffins out!  I just dumped it all back in the bowl, mixed up the eggs with a bit of milk, poured it in the batter bowl, and mixed it all in.  They still turned out great! :)

They were super good with my berry spinach smoothie!
***If you don't need/want to make these gluten free then just use regular all purpose flour.  If you don't need/want these to be dairy free then use regular milk.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails